Mull Covered Bridge

 

1515 County Road 9  

Fremont, OH  43420

 

       


The Mull Covered Bridge, which is a 'town lattice' truss type, was built in 1851 by the Henry Mull Family to allow for safe access for trade to the Mull mill. The bridge was open to traffic until 1962 when the road was diverted and a new bridge was constructed. In 1974 the Mull Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is one of the last remaining covered bridges in Northwest Ohio.

The bridge is a non-reservable facility. It is open to the public year-round.  Informal weddings are welcome, but note that there is limited parking. You must provide your own chairs, if desired, along with any trash removal.  No candles or open flame allowed on the bridge. Decorations must not be stapled or nailed, please use tape and remove upon departure.



      

1962 Ceremony opening the new section of County Road 9, closing the Mull Covered Bridge to traffic
        (photos courtesy of Doug West)
    

 

 

 "The Mull bridge was completed in 1851 and to get our bearing, let us remind ourselves that the Seneca Indians left this area in 1820, so that the area known as the Black Swamp became available to settlers and was turned into a veritable garden of Paradise for agricultural crops and fruits…Now, the first white child born in Ballville townshop was Margaret Frary. She was then 30 years old when this bridge was built. Rutherford B. Hayes, on his way to the Presidency of the United States, had been practicing law several years in Fremont. Millard Fillmore was President of the United States. Henry Clay was debating the issue of slavery…The foreboding clouds of the Civil War were on the horizon, only ten years away, and within the decade Lincoln would become President. Raw recruits from farms and hamlets would cross this very bridge – this covered bridge – in response to Abraham Lincoln’s call for seventy-five thousand volunteers, because he thought it was going to be a short war. The old bridge was really a pioneer.” -- excerpt from “Bridges, Old and New” presented by Dr. J.R. Walter, August 2, 1961.